12 Oct.   San Martin del Camino to San Justo de la Vega.     20.2 km



We are coming to what is for me the most exciting part of the journey- crossing the mountains. Dad is back to about 100% and we had a marvelous day. We started out along the interstate again and despite the temptation to follow farm roads, we stuck to the route this time. After the first 6 or so km we came to the town of Hospital de Orbigo and the beautiful bridge that legend says "A noble knight from Leon, scorned by a beautiful lady, threw down the gauntlet to any knight who dared pass as he undertook to defend the bridge and his honor."


After a stop for breakfast we were on our way to begin the climb into the foothills of the Pyrenees. The scenery is beautiful and theoines smell magnificent and we are finding the climb to be much easier as we have learned the secret of sending our packs ahead. 

For the entire journey we have notice people of all ages and abilities walking with merely a day pack. When asked about the lightness of their load, they professed to sending packs ahead for various reasons. We had scoffed at some privately or politely smiled at others. But when we stopped the other night we met Nicole who echoed the sentiment of many--the original pilgrims did not carry 20 lbs of stuff on their backs. One is no more a pilgrim with a backpack than without. 

Then she took me to task. Why, she asked was I so hesitant?  Was it lack of trust?  Was I so tied to my material possessions that I could not let go?   Very good questions. 

This journey has been a journey of learning to trust. Once we arrive in the albergue our things are left alone.  We are sleeping among strangers. We are eating with strangers. We are vulnerable to the whims of strangers. We have learned to trust those who have helped us find our way. 

And my stuff, if truth be told, although my possessions at this time are sparse, they are mine. My toothbrush. My dental floss. My clean shirts. My socks. My journal. But if they were to be lost, there is nothing that is irreplaceable. But if we send the packs ahead, might we gain more ability to look around and take in more scenery without the danger of being knocked off balance by the weight on our backs? Might we enjoy the experience more without the added weight on our joints and thus the need to medicate in order to be able to sleep?  

And so the other morning we took a deep breath, tied the envelope with our 5 euros not our packs and trusted that the hospitaleros would make the call and the transport would pick it up and it would be waiting for us at the end of the day. 

And so it was. We were indeed able to enjoy the journey more encumbered not only by the weight but also by our ties to our material possessions. We are walking with our passports, money and water as well as what we are wearing and it is very freeing indeed. 

Buen Camino

Comments

  1. Amen for Larry. And amen to trust and lightening the load. Keep walk'n & talk'n! We are proud of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our move across the country made me aware of how much stuff we have. And while I love having antiques that were my great grandmother's, a piano that was my family's, art from all over the place, and a ton of books...the weight of lugging them around made me seriously consider Jesus call to "sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor". It would certainly make for a less back breaking way of life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog