15 Oct.  Rabanal to Acebo. 16.5 km



Today our climb took us to the famous Iron Cross where pilgrims pause to leave a token of the burdens they carry. The cross was smaller than I anticipated and the pile of rocks much larger than I had imagined.

My congregation gave me a stone to leave at the foot of this cross, but as I reflected on the token I would leave as I walked the previous few days, it seemed inappropriate to leave that stone. It was, to me, a representation of the people God has gifted me to serve. I've loved and cared for them. We have worked side by side for 10 years. They are not a burden to me. They are a gift. And so I still carry that stone for that is not a burden I wish to leave behind.

So, what did I leave?  Well, to me a burden is something distracting, bothersome; a hindrance. I carry many burdens constantly--the what ifs and I wish'--the failures that I fear define me. The questions that nag at me as if I had the answers life would be perfect; the self doubts and times when I'm certain no one could be more right than I. As I thought about all these things, it became apparent that the perfect symbol for my burdens was one of those damnable stones that causes me to slip and slide down the hills and mountains. They keep my eyes focused downward instead of looking at the magnificent scenery that surrounds us. So I picked up a rough edged, rolling under my feet, nasty hard stone, carried it for a few days and deposited  it right at the foot of the cross. It seemed right and salutary to do so.

The remainder of the day found us walking up, up, up the mountain and then steeply back down. We were joined by sheep and cows, fellow pilgrims and greeted by a modern day knights Templar who is the sole citizen of the town of Manjarin.

We slipped  our way down the final descent into Acebo hanging onto our trekking poles for dear life. Our albergue is lovely but we were informed upon check in that there is a severe water shortage and to take care when showering and avoid laundry. The beautiful dry days we have experienced  have dire consequences for the people of this area. Rain is forecasted and for the sake of the farmers and the people of this area, I hope it comes.

Buen Camino

Comments

Popular posts from this blog